It was a good day, I was productive in packing up my stuff. I went out to get green shakes with my little sister. I made both french toast and raw brownies in my kitchen. I watched the basketball game with my dad. I even got a ride back to school with one of my best friends. And yet, as I sit here trying to do homework, I feel the melancholy creep of homesickness sink in. I realized that this was the reason I have already downed a third of the brownies I made (and hoped to save for the stressful week!) earlier today. So I put them down and make myself drink water instead and try to figure this out.
It’s not that I don’t like school, don’t get me wrong, college is a ton of fun. I think it is just the fact that I was just at home, my favorite place in the world, now I miss exactly that. I haven’t yet been reminded of why it is so great to be here. All that seems to greet me is my unmade bed and the list of due dates and assignments. Maybe it is all of the work that is getting to me. Maybe its the stress. Maybe it is the fact that there is snow on the ground, and more to come, but there is no hope for a snow day tomorrow. Maybe it is the fact that my stomach hurts. Maybe it is the fact that I miss all three of my sisters and wish I could talk to them about their day over dinner. Who knows what is making me feel this way, but I know I need something to cheer me up.
One of my favorite things to do to try to cheer myself up is look up pictures of baby animals. My favorite is the baby lamb…
Or maybe I should just make a list of things I am thankful for today.
- My family. I am not ashamed to say that I am one of those people who really likes and gets along with my family. Anyways, I am grateful for the opportunity to come home to a happy family and home, and know that I will be welcomed back at any time.
- Said Friend (Natalie). We met in high school, 10th grade. So we’ve been friends for a good 3 and a half years! She is so hilariously sarcastic and has remarkably good comic timing. She’s been there for me whenever I needed advice or just a good laugh, and I’m grateful that she was able to give me a ride back to school.
- College! As much as might hate work and all of the stress it causes, I am grateful to have the opportunity to study at a good university. This is going to set me up to be able todo what I want to do in the future, like become a registered dietitian and health coach. I am able to do what I love, play volleyball and sing, and still work hard. And I have met some awesome people here!…
- My Suite-mates! They are all so sweet and awesome, I am so happy I’ve gotten close with them. I am also really grateful that we actually get along because that makes coming back to my dorm so much more enjoyable. It makes me feel like there is actually a place to call home here :)
- Luciano Pavarotti. God can that man sing…it makes me feel like loving someone! I make fun of my mom for crying at operas, but I kind of tear up as well when I hear those notes and the lyrics. You must listen to it, it is incredible!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTFUM4Uh_6Y
I guess college really isn’t so bad after all. I just miss home, which is why it’s called being home sick haha. I’m sure these feelings will pass, and whether or not we have school tomorrow, all I can do is work my hardest and try to set myself up to have the best day I can!