Should you eat “cheat meals”? 

Here’s what you need to know:


“Okay, Lucy, what the eff does that mean??” I get it.  I think you should always allow yourself to eat what you want and what feels good.  However, let’s reframe this, shall we?

Call it a TREAT, not a cheat. This simple mind shift is what is key.  The word cheat automatically has a bit of a negative connotation, and makes it seem like you are “getting away” with something.  As if you have tricked your body into participating in something detrimental for us.  In reality, your body knows what’s going on! Your body is there with you every bite and is the one who is digesting your food hours after you’ve already forgotten what it was you ate and have moved on to the next thing in your list.  Y You really aren’t slipping anything by your body.  So what if we turned this “cheat” mentality into a “treat” pattern of thought?

Food should be emotionally satisfying. By telling yourself you are treating yourself, you are starting off on a positive note from the get-go! A treat is something that you may not have often, but something you love and look forward to it because it is satisfying–physically, mentally, spiritually.  So when choosing a treat, you should for those things: something that will be good for your body and your mind and your soul. Whatever this means for you.

On another level, eating healthy truly does fuel your body and make you feel good in the long run. So I go by the 80/20 rule. This means you eat your type of healthy (which looks different for every different body) most of the time, or 80% of the time.  The other 20% of the time, eat what feeds your soul and makes you feel human.  The one condition to the 20% treat: you must let yourself fully and completely enjoy it! Don’t sit around and and feel guilty about “cheating”.  Because you aren’t. You are being human.  Life is more than just a diet.  You have surprises in your day.  You have birthdays.  You have bad days.  You have good days.  Don’t beat yourself up because you didn’t stick to a regimen that isn’t realistic or sustainable.  Don’t drive yourself crazy trying to eat the perfect diet.  Let go so you can live a little.  And then show up for yourself so you can keep living in a way that makes you feel best.

Structure helps us set boundaries that will fuel us in the long run.  So by eating healthy most of the time, you are doing a good job of caring for yourself.  By eating however and whatever you want, when you want, you am still caring for yourself.  And then you can get right back to eating in a way that nourishes your body without feeling like you are missing out on life, because you have the option to choose any food you want and any time.

The restriction is what makes you feel the need to cheat.* So give yourself the permission to treat yo’ self!**

Want to talk about how you can treat your self and fuel yourself in a balance? Book an *always* free consultation with me here, and let’s get the conversation going!


*Check out Isabel Foxen Duke for more on restriction creating a binge
**Parks and Rec will forever be my fav